Tuesday 20 March 2012

Cape Epic 2012

In 5 days time I will start my 3rd Cape Epic. This year I am really excited to be riding with Swiss rider Esther Suss (World Marathon Champ 2010) in a charity team representing Wheels4Life. Founded by Hans and Carmen Rey, Wheels4Life provide bikes as a means of transportation for people in developing countries. It's an honour to be representing a charity that provides such a simple but life altering resource.

Dave and I arrived in Cape Town 5 days ago and since then we've been busy preparing everything that we'll need for 8 days of racing. Esther arrived yesterday along with my Topeak-Ergon team mates Alban and Robert who will be racing together. On Wednesday our team mechanics, Lars and Peter, will also join us. Add in Craig, our team masseur, and we have 4 team supporters and 4 riders. Logistically the Cape Epic is pretty complicated and having lots of support makes life much easier.

We have the next 2 days to train and carrying on preparing before things start to get busy. On Friday we have a press conference and interviews and on Saturday we have registration and more interviews. Then the race starts this Sunday with a 27km Prologue. From then onwards it'll be non-stop until the finish on Sunday April 1st!

Last weekend Dave and I went to check out parts of the Prologue course but in less than 30 minutes Dave managed to crash. After less than an hour in the medi-clinic he was stitched back up. Really quick service! I returned the next day and rode parts of the course on my own. I expected to see other riders but I was pretty much alone, which was fine until I saw a snake!

I saw this sign after I saw the snake!

Yesterday I rode with Bulls rider Karl Platt over Champan's Peak to Scarborough and Simon's Town. It was a sunny and warm day and the views were amazing. It's such a beautiful ride along the coastline and I love the smell of the ocean and sea mist  :)

View of Simon's Town

I'm feeling in really good shape at the moment but I'm in no doubt that this years Epic is going to be tough. Esther is really strong - a 4th place finish in the first World Cup last weekend is clear evidence of that! I'm excited about racing hard and having fun with her :)

Post ride relaxing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment