Monday 25 May 2009

The Rough With The Smooth

I returned home from Italy on a high but reality soon struck when a few days later I started to get ill with a flu/cold type thing. Initially I tried to ignore it and carry on training but that was a mistake which I think set me back even further. I had planned to ride at the Merida marathon in Crickhowell, Wales last weekend but in the end I decided that I should rest for a little longer. I wanted to make sure that I was fully recovered so that I could train and prepare for the British Marathon champs which is this weekend. I finally started to feel like I was strong again a few days ago and I was getting excited about the marathon; however I woke up this morning with another sore throat...yikes! I spent a few hours deciding whether or not I should go out on the long training ride that I had planned or whether I should rest. I finally decided that I should take it easy and not risk making matters worse again, so Dave and I headed out on a leisurely ride to our favourite tea room. Yummy :0)

Sandbanks-Studland Chain Ferry, Poole, Dorset

We caught our local chain ferry which runs from Sandbanks to Studland across the mouth of Poole harbour. They run every 20 minutes and it only takes a few minutes to reach the other side. Once over in Studland there are some great trails that either go up along the Purbeck ridge or lower down through the heathland and woods. It gave me a chance to check out my new race bike which Jon at ridebike built up for me a few days ago. It's pretty much the same as the one that I raced in Italy but the frame is different - I love it and can't wait to race it :0)

Rempstone Woods

We opted for a gentle cruise through the woods to Corfe Castle, which is a special place that often features in our rides. It is here where we stop for lunch and cream teas at Corfe Castle Model Village and Tea Room

A great place to stop for tea and cakes!

We sat in the garden for a couple of hours soaking up the sun while tackling a few cream teas before heading back through the woods to the ferry.

The remains of the castle in the background

Fingers crossed that I will leap out of bed tomorrow feeling sprightly!

No comments:

Post a Comment